[microsound] shrink warp (sic)

I wasn't dismissing shrink wrapped software (as my environment of choice Max/MSP clearly IS shrink wrapped); I'm just trying to get more people to take control over their software environments and make their own tools...it just so happens that most of the popular tool making environments happen to be non-shrink wrapped or FLOSS and some people have an aversion to checking out open source software due to a mistaken stigma that most of it is crap-ware...
aside: I have been using browsers since I migrated from Lynx to Netscape in 1993 and I am quite happy with Mozilla 1.7.5 thank you (both Safari and IE suck donkey comparitively)...I run Linux on my 12" iBook and while it is a challenge to debug sometimes (certain installs, deps issues, etc) I now do all my writing in Open Office - and after using Word for 10 years I say OO beats it to a pulp...I have to say that I find myself MUCH more productive in the Linux environment than in OS X...but I digress...
all of the graphical programming environments are worth checking out and any learning curve wholly depends on what you want to do with that particular tool...I think the number one impression that people have (and are scared off by) is of some huge mythical learning curve that will prevent them from using that sort of tool...some are better than others...e.g. SuperCollider has a definite steep learning curve whereas AudioMulch has less of one...but again if you want to load samples and shove them thru a VST plug and record to disc this is pretty simple and might just be a matter of tweaking an existing patch...remember: most programmers tend to leverage as much already written code as possible and this like working with Max/MSP, PD, SC or AM or whatever: open examples, download patches, play around with them, take them apart, modify them, add features you like, learn as you go...I don't know anyone who is a serious Max programmer who always builds from the ground up every time they build something new...an important aspect of open source is building on prior work...this is important; the world of knowledge would be stuck in the middle-ages without it...