Re: [microsound] MUTE article on PD + free software

I had to say the bit about the "German techno" made me laugh.  I'm all
for having flexible free tools that allow you to construct very
individual types of music. But, I must add that I do like a lot of
German techno and in the place where I live, Chicago USA, this techno
(or any techno!) is not really popular - the popular music is mostly
just horrid Clear Channel top 40 stuff.  Along with making more esoteric
noise or glitch stuff, I do make techno that might be in the same vein
as the German stuff.  It's almost hard for me to imagine that in some
parts of the world this music is popular actually.

To go back to software, I find it almost surprising that people use
Live for composition...  I only use it for live DJing, and it is some of
the only software I've ever bought actually.  I'm not sure why some
people are even interested in it as a composition environment, as to me
the interface doesn't lend itself to that.  I tried using it to perform
some more experimental music before, not loop-based, but I wasn't
entirely satisfied with using it that way.  However, I'm sure if you
mess around long enough you can get weird noises from it - no question
about that.

All things considered, I say yes, use free software when appropriate -
but no need to get all evangelical or preachy about it.  Instead,
demonstrate what can be done, and give the beginners as many tutorials
as possible to explain HOW it is done.

~David

>>> brymoxine@xxxxxxxxx 04/06/05 05:49PM >>>
this is legitamate criticism.  people are always so
quick to pat one another on the back, especially in
micro-niche genres.    however, with criticism, one
should expect some offerings of alternatives, and/or
solutions to avoiding the traps.   my first reaction,
was, "then,why aren't we all using pro-tools."   i
know derek isn't pushing that, but what is derek
recommending as a path away from the populist german
techno sound >?<