RE: [microsound] palindromic sound

> From: Davide Morelli
> the idea of palindromic sound should be:
>
> sound: [ABCBA]
> so
> reflected sound = direct sound
>
> it is interesting but I don't understand how this should
> cancel itself if echoed

It doesn't.  It would need to be inverted upon reflection.  The surface
creating the reflection would also have to be perfectly flat with absolutely
no dampening.  These two requirements are impossible to find in nature.
Just think of the quack sound in your typical lake environment and there's
nothing in there that observes those very stringent conditions for a perfect
cancelling soundwave.

> As well as the referece to its fractal structure:
> auto-similarity (each part of the sound is similar and
> proportional to the previous part and to the next part) is
> very intriguing but I still don't see how this should cancel echoes..
>
> Now I am curious and I'd like to try to build a palindromic
> and fractal sound...
>
> would a data set like this be both palindromic and fractal?
> 010 01210 012343210 01234567876543210 012343210 01210 010

Fractal-ness implies an infinite level of detail.  Not all fractals are
self-similar, but all self-similar structures are inherently fractal (except
degenerate cases).  For a self-similar curve comparable to the number
sequence above, check the Koch curve.  It is a fractal because it has
dimension log 4/log 3 (its dimension is a fractional value and not an
integer).  That value (in this case, somewhere between 1 and 2) means it
somehow is more than a line but less than a surface; this is easily pointed
out by the fact that the curve has infinite length but encompasses a finite
area.

//p
http://www.interdisciplina.org/00.0/