Re: [microsound] MUTE article on PD + free software

On Apr 6, 2005 2:39 PM, Kevin Ponto <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you look at a program like Ableton Live which is used by probably
> > about eighty percent of people making sound and performing out live
> > these days, it seems like. It's good for a very few things, it's good
> > for working with loops, putting effects on these loops and sequencing
> > them, but it pushes you in one creative direction, it pushes you into
> > making a certain kind of music, really it pushes you towards German
> > techno more than anything else.' Derek Holzer
>
> No more so than PD pushes you towards "random" noise. While it may be
> true that many people who use Live don't venture beyond the "loop,
> effect, rinse, repeat" method, you can hardly blame the tool for the
> shortcomings of the user's imagination.

These comments are very interesting.  I also used cracked software
quite a bit after migrating from my first computer music environment
(impulse tracker!) but I was really just shopping around.  I ended up
purchasing Live earlier this year after using a cracked version, since
it's so well-designed.

It seems to me that a good composition strategy is to have a few
environments:  Live for real-time DAW stuff and traditional
midi/sample sequencing, Cool Edit for sample work/mastering, Pd for
real time fuckery/audio programming, and Csound for complex synthesis
rendering and cool features (phase vocoder, LPC).  Playing a live
performance is usually with Live and Pd, although I often make
instruments in Pd and then record random parametric experiments for
10-20 mins, and open up the wav file in Live as a clip which I can
further process.  There are many variations with this combination of
tools.

I don't think it's fair to bash Live, since it is really quite
versatile.  Really, the whole microsound aesthetic revolves around
being able to zoom in and out of the time scale.  I think that this
can also apply to the level of programming for the audio.  So having a
few tools at different levels of the "programmability scale" is
advantageous.

~Kyle
--
http://perhapsidid.blogspot.org