Re: [microsound] outsider artists

andrew benson wrote:

The search for the outside
will simply lead to more insides.

indeed! even if this sounds a bit cruel to those artists who genuinely feel themselves to be on the fringe, the notion of outside (and for that matter 'avant garde') has degenerated into the ultimate tool for recuperation.

taking an (improbable) lead from Wittgenstein :
"....for in order to be able to draw a limit to thought, we should have to find both sides of the limit thinkable (i.e. we should have to be able to think what cannot be thought)." (preface to the Tractatus...., 1918)

maybe today, the moment you actually produce a work you are already "inside" since there are no more pre-established rules for defining art and non-art, other than context of reception (perhaps).

so the moment you make a sound "as art" you are an insider (of sorts...). maybe this is verging on the tautological and hence pretty useless, but otherwise one person's inside is another's outside etc ad infinitum.

cc