[microsound] Re: what is the legal position?

There are 2 cases I know of projects like this being
threatened with large lawsuits by the record labels
who own the rights to the recordings. (The
Deconstructing Beck compilation, which is very similar
to your project, and Beattalica, which was a band with
online mp3's of Beatles songs as if they were played
by Metallica.

In both cases, the copyright-infringing artists were
"rescued" by the original artists, who said they
actually enjoyed the recordings and wouldn't support a
lawsuit. That in itself didn't make the lawsuits
invalid (since the artists themselves don't own the
rights to their recordings). It was the possibility of
the mass bad press that made the labels step down. In
a case like this, I'd be very suprised if the
remaining Beach Boys were to side with a project that
samples their works.

Negativland's website has all sorts of resources on
the legal basis for cases like this.

Funny thing about Pet Sounds is that as a teenager who
had just listened to Pink Floyd's "Several Species of
Small Furry Animals...", I was very dissapointed that
all the sounds on the album were made by humans with
musical instruments.