[microsound] R: [microsound] non-verbal encounters of the 3rd kind...

> i always loved that idea in the film, although i find it
> highly suspect that the aliens prefer western harmony...

I don't know if John Williams has chosen those 5 notes because of this but
D4 E4 C4 C3 G3 are all in the C1 overtones series
which is not a western harmony's prerogative (though western harmony's
theorists too many times used the overtone series to justify funny rules).
I think this gives a much more wider perspective to his motif.