Re: [microsound] being 'political' in non-verbal music

On Jun 23, 2005, at 12:56 AM, Bill Ashline wrote:
The only way you get the
hell out of the way when a bus sounds its horn is because you've been
programmed to read that sound as a warning and an alert.  That's
culture, of course, but without that, it's just another sound.  So
back to the original question, can you create a sound that contains an
inherent politics outside of a discursive form that identifies it as
such?  I have yet to see one solitary example that demonstrates such a
possibility.

Well, the answer would then be no. Nor could you create a sentence, or an act, or a symbol or anything else that could be identified as political, or anything. If you remove all the "programming" (and by this I assume you mean the ability to reference and compare one experience with another), then nothing means anything and I fail to see the point of even asking about it.