Re: [microsound] being 'political' in non-verbal music

hi

your post made some questions come to my mind.

On 6/22/05, Bill Ashline <ashline@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you hear that group of sounds devoid of the message
> inherent in it, they're only sounds.

if you read that group of words devoid of the message inherent in
them, they're only words.
if you view that group of colors and shapes devoid of the message
inherent in them, they're only colors and shapes.

what does this phrase mean:
'devoid of the message inherent in them'
?

what is the inherent message in sounds?
have you been reading john cage? zen texts?

> Paraphrasing Lyotard:  a cave dweller inscribes a figure on the wall
> inside a cave.  Is it art?  Is it language?  It is neither.  The
> distinction will come later.

hmm ...

why does it matter if it's art or language? what is the difference
between art and language? why is that distinction important?

--
\js  [ http://or8.net/~johns/ ]