Re: [microsound] open source/ open ear

Hi Timothy,

I'm really interested in doing a one-night performance - I haven't finalized the proposal as I'm still working out details and contacting potential collaborators.

However, the main event would be an experimental opera called "Hypocenter" - consisting primarily of improvised open form music, stretching across genres (jazz, classical, pop, tango) but primarily dwelling in the abstract/atonal/noise/texture side of things. There would also be some spoken text and dancers or silent actors.

I might follow this with some more beat oriented improvisations for the second half of the evening - if something people can dance to is also acceptable! :)

I intend to complete a full proposal very shortly.

Thanks,
David

I'd like to present a major work

Timothy Ivison wrote:

...and regarding recent posts: all submissions will be acknowledged.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

OPEN SOURCE/OPEN EAR JULY 28 – August 11 Chicago, IL

This is a call for all music makers, audiophiles, sound artists, file pirates, oddity trawlers, programmers, mixtapers, noise addicts, radio hackers, circuit benders, and free improvisers to participate in a two-week exhibition at Mess Hall, in Rogers Park. The objective of this show is to bring into focus diverse sound practices that resist conventional modes of production, distribution, performance or perception. The show will accommodate a gallery installation of submissions and projects, as well as a series of evening performances. This will be accompanied by a website, small publication and compilation cd.
All types of contribution are welcome!
Please consider submitting:
• Proposals for one-night performances, on or off-site events, installations, radio programs
• Recorded material for compilation, exchange, remix, broadcast or promotion
• Posters, pamphlets, imagery or ephemera related to your work or to other DIY sound projects
• Essays related to the ideas of open-source programming, soundhacking, politics and sound, installation, improvisation, subculture, etc.
• How-to instructions or diagrams for instrument building/programming/deviant behavior

All Submissions and proposals are due by July 15th

Contact:
Timothy Ivison
1342 W Hubbard St., #2F
Chicago, IL 60622
tiviso@xxxxxxxxx

about the space:
“Mess Hall is an open resource based in Chicago. It offers meals, a printed matter reading area, a useful materials redistribution initiative, exhibitions, workshops, swap meets, presentations, public projects, actions and generates a self-organized culture of generosity.”
- In The Field

www.messhall.org