[microsound] old and new was Re: [microsound] Cage's 0'00"

aleks vasic wrote:

Woah!  Settle down.

Everyone appreciates different things. There is room for everything on this list if people can grow from the discussions.

Age does not predicate one interest's and ideologies.

Maybe it is a point of reference thing and you assume everyone thinks like you...

aLEKs

I concur, aLEKs. Also, we need balance ie to appreciate the old *and* the new, too.
Additionally, if we don't keep the memory of the old, it gets forgotten and that
would be a horrible shame. I was lucky enough to interview Morton Subotnick
a few years back for my syndicated net/radio show (an example of the "old")
and his zest and vibrancy and interest in the *new* and progressing was remarkable
even over a long distance phone line. I had wanted to talk to him about his pioneering
albums from many years back, and we ended up only talking about the exciting new
projects he was working on. Who's to say Cage wouldn't be doing incredible
new things if he were still alive and able? Let's not knock talk of the pioneers.
If people are leaving the list because of too much talk of the old, let them go, IMO.
Andrew