Re: [microsound] synethesia?

Exactly.  And as someone who has colleagues who actually study
synaesthesia scientifically, it should be noted that only recently
have researchers found fairly conclusive evidence that synaesthesia is
a real sensory phenomenon and not merely learned associations.  Here's
links to some recent findings (the Scientific American article is not
by my colleagues, but is by a well-respected researcher):

http://journalofvision.org/3/9/619/
http://www.perceptionweb.com/ecvp03/1174.html
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0003014B-9D06-1E8F-8EA5809EC5880000

nick