[microsound] OT?

I have to agree with graham.  I used to read this list
frequently for the discussions of technology and
philosophical/perceptual issues.  I rarely post
anything because usually someone is saying something
related to what I would say anyway so I just watch the
conversation play itself out.

This being said, I have always been annoyed by some
people's willingness to declare other peoples
statements, topics and remarks to be off topic.  Is
the topic of 'microsound' been so completely defined
as to not be open  to a variety of perspectives and
possible topics for inclusion any longer?  if so, then
there is little point for this list.

A lake, without streams draining into and out of it,
will slowly fill with sediment until it ceases to be a
lake and blends into the surrounding landscape.

The real reason I think that people like to point out
others people's remarks as "off topic" is so as to a)
control the discussion, forcing a direction that they
feel it should go b) increase one's own self
gratification through the power gained by assuming the
voice of the mass for themselves and using it against
an individual who has commited some alleged
transgression of a rule established within the group.
People do the same types of things in lame lame office
culture.

I myself tend to see and seek relationships in large
blocks of information first.  For better or worse,
this is my natural tendency.  Many people like to
operate from a micro to a macro level instead, but
this is how we are.  Often topics that from one
person's perspective might appear totally related to
the discussion or to some previous one might not
nessecarily seem so to someone else.  My two sense
would be calling out people on such tiny
"transgressions" only serves to stifle conversation.
This medium for discussion, the "board" is a bit
decentralized anyway, no?  We are from many different
countries and have different ideas of ettiquite
anyway, not to mention the fact that our brains all
work differently.  We should loosen up here.  There is
nothing being posted that is that "off topic".  No
advertisements for cars or anything...and even that
could fit depending on where the conversation is
going.  I know that I for one would read and write
more here if you all could more beyond that issue of
what is "appropriate".  It seems such a contradiction
for individuals suppossedly pursuing an art that is,
as yet, at least partially undefined.

jorge