Re: [microsound] Are all electronic music related writers bad writers?

true Rónai, but what about the ideology of the
particular music in question-like why would you want
to listen to this particular piece of music? what does
it do for the listener? what kind of space does it put
you/them into?

These are indeed important questions; I just wanted to answer the original post's complaint about 88% of adjectives.

I think covering questions you pose have to be underpinned by the description of the music (something like a close reading), otherwise a review would easily become "impressionist" (this term is used in literary discussion here, don't know if it exists elsewhere).
An impressionist review can indeed capture the attention of the reader, but it's more due to the writing abilities of the reviewer than to his elaborate interpretation of the music in question. An interpretative review I have before my mind's eyes can be very interesting even after you heard the music; it can point to techniques, questions and solutions you may not have heard...

But I realize that this is rather a matter of taste: this is the kind of review I appreciate the most.

r.a

--
http://ra.underground.hu/

--- Rónai András <ronaiandras@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The number one thing I see is convoluted run-ons
full of 88%
> adjectives, among other things.

I'm writing about music for about 10 years now (in
Hungarian, so you can't
check:)), and I think it's pretty hard to avoid
using lots of adjectives -
all you can do is try to replace some of them by
verbs.

I think the main point is that even if music is
something that is
happening in time (so verbs would be adecvate for
this), when you describe
music, you approach it as a whole, as an entity. And
you have only a few
subjects (describable with nouns: album, song,
track, intro, arrangement,
feeling, processes etc) to describe which you can do
most easily with
adjectives.
And an other thing (from a linguistic point of
view): reviewers try to
avoid being "too" subjective - you can describe your
subjective experience
with verbs (what is _happening_ to you listening to
this piece of music),
but reviewers seem to feel that this kind of writing
has an atmosphere of
more than enough subjectivity.

> Anybody care to wager a guess why it's all so
embarrassingly poor?

I have to tell I enjoy a lot of stuff I read, about
half of each month's
Wire and lots of reviews on the internet.

r.a

For additional commands, e-mail:
microsound-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- http://ra.underground.hu/