Re: [microsound] Are all electronic music related writers bad writers?

i'm not sure if the original question was iwritten* regarding jounalism in general , or more specifically: electronic music and microsoundish reviews.

most prolific reviewers are essentially rock journalists , or maybe even write jazz reviews . sometimes the style of writing is informed by listening to the release and writing phrases which present themselves to the consciousness. there is sometimes the hope that the sum of the review and the sounds resulting from the playing of the c.d. might result in something different , larger , yet not incompatible with the musician's intentions. the idea is sometimes to get the reader interested , to give the listener guidance in the direction of what might be beneficial or life-affirming.

since microsound is basically a rebellious music ; the rock music of our day; there is a spirit of pushing the language a bit in the journals , of inventing words sometimes , of presenting or at least hinting at thoughts that aren't often expressed.

the tradition of rock journalism include those figures lester bangs , stephen davis. those guys seemed to be encouraging a different way of reading , perhaps a more casual or non-linear way of looking at things. there is also a kind of foresight regarding where the article will show up. what makes good reading in a magazine or on an album cover might be different than a good book.

regards,

Bill

*a word i made up. that's a good idea sometimes though if you get really carried away you should own the theatre , that worked for shakespeare.http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup? num=9393
is a good book if you're interested in shakespeare.