RE: [microsound] Re: microphone

At 6:39 AM +0000 10/21/05, bil bo wrote:
Ive just got a pair of 'Studio Projects C4' microphones.
I havent had much oppertunity to test them yet, and im still fine-tuning my setup, but so far I would highly recommend them.
The C4s are high quality and relatively inexpensive.
Also, they come with a great little carry case, a pair of windshields, and a pair of shock mounts amoungst other things.

Using 2 seperate microphones for a stereo recording is much more flexible as it allows for a greater range of recording positions, because both units can be placed independantly of one another.

I agree, a fixed X-Y can become a little tiring after a while and the X-Y stereo image is often disappointing for larger events/spaces. Let us know how the C4's work out!

They can record onto a single device if you employ a 'y cable' type adaptor.

It maybe worth getting a portable phantom power module, as battery powered microphones operate at a reduced level of performance.

This can be very true but I think in this case that the NT-4's performance is very very similar on the 9 volt battery or on the Rolls Phantom power supply-- of course, you've got to by-pass the 12dB pad in the cable for the 9 volt powering to match. This match has been confirmed by several NT-4 users.

A good quality Hi-MD Minidisc recorder is a fine alternative to a DAT if you are on a budget, as many of them can record in uncompressed PCM wave format. The unbalanced mic inputs are an annoyance though.

It can be very short run from the Portable Phantom Supply to the HiMD recorder. So far, I haven't picked up RFI or additional noise with either the Ross or the Art. I did have to put DC blocking capacitors in the adapter cable for an older camcorder input with PIP, but not for MD's or HiMD's so far.

I compared the mic pre noise between my Sony D7 and D8 DATS to my HiMD and the HiMD's mic pre was noticeably quieter. Also much quieter than my two older Sharp MD's. I'm still astonished a $170 recorder can have a mic pre this quiet. The gain is over 70dB! All of the Sony HiMDs seem to have the same mic pre performance-- at least none have tested better or worse for people who own two different models as yet.

One thing I have experienced when using minidiscs for gentle recordings is that the machine itself whirrs quietly at irregular intervals, which does pick up in the recording.
Some sort of insulatory casing (with a gap for cables) would be required I suppose. I havent fully investigated that one yet.

Yes, it could be a writing cycle as it happens much less often at HiSP rate. A simple leather carrying case zipped fully shut eliminated the sound when my sensitive AT 3032 mics were at full gain and two feet away in a very quiet location so the whirring seems to be mostly high Hz. Rob D.

Of course you could just use very long cables and put the MD somewhere far away.

.chris

That Rode NT4 mic does look quite nice, and supposedly has can take an SPL of up to 143 db. That's a pretty insane for a small diaphragm condenser mic, louder than anything I could ever imagine trying to capture. The sensitivity could also be a handy advantage if you are making a lot of really quiet recordings. Whether or not the mic is worth double what the AT822 sells for (200 compared to 450) depends on what it is you are recording and in what context it will be used. Oh, and to answer someone's question from earlier, yes, I use a portable DAT recorder (no compression!) However, I have heard some good results from MD as well, which has the advantages of being cheaper, smaller, and more accessible media.

Rob Danielson
Film Department
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee