Re: [microsound]LEMUR? Experiences?

I personally love my Lemur. So much so that I'm going as far as developing an OSC driver for softimage so I can use it for motion capture / animation. It's become my favorite way to work with my machines.
I can't tell you whether or not its "worth" it for you, but it certainly was for me, even though I know that as an early adopter my wallet is being torn a new asshole. :)
The touch control for x,y manipulations is really tight, as it is for all of their objects. Being able to set attack, decay times for pads is neat, but the neatest is that most controls can have physical modeling (mass, friction, yadda) applied so they can behave in pretty unique ways. You can also use plain interpolation or straight up "here is where your finger is" interaction as well.
The programming software that comes with it is kinda lame... not useless of course, just sort of an after thought it seems. One thing it has going for it is that it's so small. There are issues using it under windows (I've still got to ask them about that) but no problems on the mac side. It's really easy to figure things out and get started. I'd really like a better piece of software to program the device. Which leads to the only "real" problem I have with the lemur. No non-volatile memory!! It's not that big of a deal, but you just sorta WANT that when you drop $2k. Another thing that could be useful would be the abililty to alter the target IP and port from the device itself instead of reconnecting with the programming software.
What they mean by that MIDI statement is that you can use the programming software to transmit midi with the device or you can just use Max or something to transmit midi based on the messages it gets from the lemur. All controls send out floating point numbers between 0 and 1 with 1024 steps in between, so in most cases multiplying by 127 is all you'd need to do to midi-fy things.

All-in-all it's a pretty rad piece of gear.

_chip