Re: [microsound] microphone

At 1:04 AM -0700 10/20/05, Joshua Maremont wrote:
>At 3:32 PM -0700 10/19/05, Johan Nilsson wrote:
>>Ah - I've been looking to get this mic, it looks good and fairly cheap.
>>Anyone got experience with it?
>>>http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/665bdf92967733dc/index.html
>
>I have been using my AT822 for years with great results in
>combination with Sharp portable MD recorders; the battery eliminates
>the need for phantom power, and the low-end roll-off switch is
>perfect for windy environments, while the fidelity and stereo image
>are excellent.
>
>current listening:  Zoviet-France - Music For A Spagetti Western
>--
>Joshua Maremont / Thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Boxman Studies Label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/

Another single point hand-held stereo mic to consider with the
battery powering option for about the same price is the Rode NT-4
with 16dB(A) self noise and 12mv/Pa sensitivity (output) compared 24
dB(A) self-noise and 6 mv/Pa sensitivity for the AT822.
http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=NT4
The pad that comes in the cable supplied with (newer model) NT-4's
can be by-passed to increase the sensitivity 12dB:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/NT-4ConnectorCircuit&ModSm.jpg

I used an 822 for about 8 years. There's a good chance one might go
for the Rode if offered an A-B test. Rob D.