Re: [microsound] microphone

At 9:24 AM +0200 10/17/05, s+ wrote:

>the microphone must be located in a static place.....

My favorite too. Getting the mic rig up in the
air can significantly improve open-ness. The
Smith-Victor RS8 Raven Lightweight 8' stand is
quite small and strong.
	http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=114161&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
($40)

>but the place can be the diferent depending of the situation .... city ,
>rural , or machines.....

Condenser mics with less than <12dB(A) self noise
and >10mV/Pa sensitivity (output) should cover
this range about as well as one can expect.
Here's a list of mics I compiled with the help of
other recordists:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/MicSpecCharts/MicNoiseSensv01.htm
or
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/MicSpecCharts/MicNoiseSensv01.xls
as a spreadsheet you can sort/edit. It has the
relevant specs for reference.

A Rolls PB224 portable phantom power supply can
be used to power condenser mics with your MD
recorder.
http://rolls.com/rollsproducts/
http://www.music123.com/Rolls-PB224-Dual--Phantom-Power--Adaptor-i11829.music
($70)
(overseas, the Art Phantom II unit works fine and is easier to get)

To connect the Rolls to your MD's 1/8" mic input,
you can make an adapter cable by cutting the RCA
ends off of a 1/8" mini stereo plug cable like
this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F003%5F009&product%5Fid=42%2D2551
($7)

and soldering on two XLR Female connectors:
http://www.music123.com/Pro-Co-NC3FX--Neutrik-3-Pole-Female-XLR-Connector-i130434.music
($6)

wired like this:
Left: XLR3F connector
#1-> 1/8" shield
#2-> 1/8" tip
#3-> 1/8" shield

Right: XLR3F connector
#1-> 1/8" shield
#2-> 1/8" ring
#3-> 1/8" shield

>i don´t know if it´s possible to record everything whith the same mic.

Spaced omni-directional pairs are pretty popular
for emphasizing spaciousness. ORTF cardioids are
often used when more fore-grounding of select
sound elements is preferred.  M-S (mid-side) is
another very popular option that gives one
greater imaging flexibility in post.

One, lower-cost, low noise omni-directional mic
that I've used for ambience in quiet locations
that I've been very happy is the AT3032 at $170
each. It has been tested to have 8dB(A) self
noise and 19mV/Pa sensitivity.  I like the space
these produce at 12-23" spread in ORTF at ~135
degrees but there's lots of room to play with.

For a narrower, but still open sounding field,
I'm very happy with the results I get with two
Rode NT1-A's in ORTF with 12" spread at angled
from 70-90 degrees. This mic is pretty much
unmatched for extremely low self noise [5.5dB(A)]
and high output (25mV/Pa).  ($190 each)

For M-S  I often use a Rode NT2A in its figure 8
setting as the Side mic in conjuction with either
the Rode NT1-A or a AT3023 as the MID. The NT2A
is ~$280.

There are many factors and opinions about mics.
For reference, I use Sennheiser MKH30, MKH40 and
MBHO 603 mics  in the same recording contexts all
the time and the above mics do not produce what I
regard as a significant quality drop.

>i wouldn´t exceed 500 $.....

To stay under this budget, you'll need to build
your own Shock Mount(s) with wind protection.

Here's one for M-S:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/MS_Mount_Rodes/WebSite_MS_Mount_Rodes.html

For the Rode NT1A's in 6" and 12" spread ORTF
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/DIY_ShockZep_4_NT1A_ORTF/DIY_ShockZep_4_NT1A_ORTF.html

2- cutaway 3" PVC mounts can be made for
supporting "pencil" shaped mics like the
AT3032's. You'd have to make an (adjustable?)
horizontal mounting bar.  Here are some pictures
of a mount for one pencil mic with zep.
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/DIY_NT4_3inchPVC_ShockZep/DIY_NT4_3inchPVC_ShockZep.html

One last note. The mic preamps in the Sony HiMD
recorders have exceptionally low noise
performance with high gain. Down the road, one
might consider upgrading if older MD mic pre
seems to be the limiting noise factor. I found
the mic pre in my older Sharp MT90 MD recorder
for example, to have about 11dB(A) more noise.

Here's a test comparing a $180 SonyNH900 HiMD
recorder using a $70 Rolls PB224 to a $2400 Sound
Devices 722.
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/PortPhantomHiMDReprtv01SorIMA.mov

There are other important factors, but these are some approaches to consider.
Rob D.