Re: [microsound] escalators/seams

to reveal the seam is to make a reference to the
medium and it is something in recorded music that i
appreciate when done well, as opposed to the realism
(illusion) associated with "fidelity"--it challenges
you to be critical about your mode of reception.
seamlessness is something that is also considered an
element of classical virtuosity and worse yet
"showmanship". i note a recent interview with keiji
haino where he indicates "you must never let on that
you have made a mistake when you are
improvising"--which i think is something that reveals
a lot about the performative ego-attitudes of some
musicians. throughout the writings i have seen about
the aesthetics of failure, rarely does anyone go so
far into the critique that concept of mastery starts
to tremble, as if to say that only the machine can
declare the revolt against the intentions of the
composer/player. but i would be interested what other
people think about "the seam" in their music. i would
even say this might be my first attempt to start a
microsound list "project" discussion. one of the
charges you could reasonably level against computer
music concerns its aridity. but there is are places,
the "seam" in the loop, for example, where otherness
breathes into the space of constructed reality. i
think this is an ineteresting structure to work
through...

-jeff gburek

p.s. escalators, unlike elevators, are on a loop...