Re: [microsound] solid portable audio recording

At 1:24 PM +1300 12/10/05, Shanan wrote:
Without meaning to do a "me too", I agree with Aaron's
HiMD suggestion.

<snip>

A few additions to these very good assessments:

A few bad points:
- the unit clicks and whirrs for 6 secs every 20 or so
- you need to keep it away from the mic

This troubled me at first but I found the high-pitched clicking can be completely absorbed by placing it inside of a leather case with a zipper.

- compressed recordings can't be captured to PC as
easily/quickly as uncompressed
- HiMD discs are relatively expensive

Not too bad, 15 hours for $60 and they can be recycled.

- the remote doesn't allow you to record - you have to
hit the actual unit

The more RH-10 has record control from the remote for $60 more. Rob D.

FYI the model I bought was the NH900, which is no longer made but I picked one up quite cheaply from a sale of outgoing stock. I just used a cheap ($150) stereo Mic and left my good/large mic at home. Am happy with results since I process the sound anyway.

In the future, cheap solid-state gear seems to be the
way to go. But IMO it's just not there yet.

--- Aaron Ximm <ghede@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

 > Goldwin Carlin wrote:
 > > Any recommendations for an inexpensive yet solid
 (stereo, good freq.
 > > response, etc.) portable audio (field) recording
 device?

My $.02 is that for applications like mine Sony's
> HiMD is far and away the
 best of many imperfect solutions. Increasingly
 people think is a luddite's
 position but it is very highly motivated. To wit:

-
Shanan | octif.org

\
--