[microsound] Re: making 5.1 surround mixes

 > what software do i need to make surround sound mixes of tracks and=20
 > burn them to CD/DVD to play on my home cinema system?

there are two totally seperate parts to the process

1. mixing in 5.1

2. encoding the six channels genrated from a 5.1 mix into Dolby Digital

how you do part 1 totally depends on what you use to mix eg ProTools TDM, Nuendo, Logic all support mixing to 5.1 using direct routing plus 5.1 panning...

step 2
in my experience the easiest way (on a Mac) to encode your 5.1 discrete files
(ie the six seperate files that make up a 5.1 mix = L, C, R SurrL, Surr R, Sub)
is to use a little program that comes with Apple  DVD Studio
the program is called A.Pack

With it you simply open each file seperately & assign it to the correct speaker
then choose the encode rate (put it on max if theres no visual information)
and it will export a single Dolby Digital AC3 stream which is what your dvd
authoring software will want & the eventual DVD player will decode back to 5.1

-- "I call architecture frozen music" J.W.Goethe