Re: [microsound] help for a beginner

Way better than Max-MSP is the FREE (and also made by puckette)  Pd.

you can find it here: http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/software.html
and there is an extended version here:
http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html

the other great and ultra-flexible option can be the omnipresent
Csound: http://www.csounds.com/

and the more difficult, but also flexible (it has a lot of well-done
tutorials) is SuperCollider: http://www.audiosynth.com/

you should start with the real stuff, since things like Metasynth can
be fun, but pedagogically problematic.

be happy

dp