To: "microsound" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 10:25 PM
Subject: [microsound] folk-music instrument

i don't think devlashnull was saying laptoppers should
start "covering" folk-music traditions. maybe the
duelling banjos bit is a little too "hee-haw" to take
seriously. but there is a concept underlying this that
i find compelling: that the laptop has become very
common tool for expressing, akin one's voice, which is
also part of one's experience. i don't think of
folk-music as just a genre wherein you have your rosco
holcomb and your skip (or joseph) spence or records
and your harry smith anthology etc. set out on the
table to define what the music is. the argument has
been made that all folk-music is essentially popular
music. but i think of it differently: it comes out of
the songs you sing while working or after work when
waiting for the dinner that isn't coming because the
government seized all your chickens saying they got
some kind of flu. like that. arguably most people with
laptops don't have those kind of blues to sing. but on
the other hand, there is still isolation, death,
loneliness and desperation and the laptop itself to
make the material of laments
jg

--- roberth <roberth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

nice image
except going no deeper into the folk tradition
than a commerialized thing like dueling banjos
sure ain't dock boggs
maybe says something about
laptop shit
robert