To: "microsound" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: [microsound] visual artists

to me this is a further reinforcement of the notion of much "laptop" music (and by extension "laptop musicians") who exist outside of academia, or without much formal training, being considered more as "folk-artists" or making a new kind of "folk-music".

the laptop and/or personal computer (and related software) having become, in our time, in our culture, as ubiquitous as the odd guitar or harmonica laying around the house, are now what could be considered "folk instruments".

conjures up images of "Deliverance" where dueling banjo's is played out by a couple of folks sitting on the porch with laptops.

in fact on a tour in the summer of 2002 we ( 3-piece laptop improv group) played a version of "dueling banjo's" on our laptops to represent that very idea. we cut up all the guiitar and banjo sections individually and loaded them on seperate machines and proceeded to mangle them into sonic suuuuu-weeee.