Re: [microsound] re: ARP Odyssey 2800

hey thane

owning a true vintage analogue synth is not only fun to have, a great
piece of history exemplified by the era's mindset and the then
state-of-the-art, but it's also a great way to understand basic
synthesis, if you don't know already, which you probably do. it's lego
for would be architects. a sublime toy but also a viable tool, depending
on how you plan on using it and in what context.

my first analogue synth was a yamaha CS 20M (which i would never sell,
since it's so dear to me). it taught me the principles behind basic
synthesis. and it sounds great. massive speaker bowing lows and ripping
lead lines... it's just plain fun.

but it's a dark path and suddenly the fetishism takes over and you want
more and more and more...  i bought an 808, a 606, a 303, a 909
eventually a super jupiter... a lot of cash i could have spent on
computer gear, better programmes and interfaces. and then, suddenly, i
wasn't into that kind of techno anymore, and now those units gather
dust, but always look impressive when clients show up. reaktor can teach
you everything you need to know about synthesis... spend the money on a
FM7 or a pro-53:) they really rawk.

g.
..