Re: [microsound] MIDI exoskeleton

look at the art and evolution of acting... especially in film... the power of the closeup (of an actor's face) in film, that you don't have in theatre. all the early 20th century debates/theory over film vs. theatre and the power of the camera to transform acting into something else entirely... how film acting was fundamentally different than the stage... the camera allowed the 'microsound' equivalent of acting (see walter benjamin and andre bazin)... that closeup effect that only technology can provide. the investigation into the infinitesimal... now imagine that same transition happening in music. motion capture taking an 'acting aesthetic' and mapping that onto musical performance. not to downplay the artistry that goes into knob twirling and mouse clicking, but that's such a small range of what we as humans are capable of transmitting in realtime. although, that said, what happens when a musician coughs during a performance? spills a beer? sees their significant other flirting in the audience? does that translate to MIDI?

aleks vasic wrote:

Yeah, that is exactly what i meant. Not a composer, but a conductor. Sometimes my thoughts go a million miles an hour and i cant keep up. So i screw up the meaning of my message.

The emotions any serious musician displays is what this technology would allow a performer to display, because it would allow him to interact in real time. Guitar face would take on a whole new meaning. Losing ones self in the creative process is a thing of beauty. In the world of electronic music or what have you, that takes place in the studio, and still it is not in real time. It has unlimited potential. And for less then half the price of a Lemur(one arms worth) it is a bargain.

aLEKs