[microsound] Archos 402 + SP-PREAMP-4 -- initial impressions

after using the combination of the Archos 402 camcorder, the SP-
PREAMP-4 and a crap JVC stereo lav mic  for a week in Mexico City on
a project I was working on here are some initial comments and
observations:

- the Archos 402 is a nice versatile device that can shoot mp4 video,
take stills and record audio with an internal mic (good for dictating
notes/ideas) or using an external preamp (see info below)
- the Otter case which is used to house both the Archos and the
preamp is very rugged and well made (see link below)
    - make sure to order one with a clear lid so you can see what is
going on with your levels and such
    - the only downside is that instant access to the preamp/Archos
controls is limited due to the snap shut lid on the Otter case which
means more handling in certain situations -- but then with 20G of
hard disc space you can just keep it recording without too much
tweaking...also, you can use the lid snap as a 'slate' of sorts...but
grabbing it out of the case and using for shooting video was not too
difficult so long as you had hands free and not carrying other bags
or things...
- the Archos 402 is a nice recorder...it stores everything in 44/16
wav files...if you need higher res (ala 96/24 or greater) then this
won't cut it for you but maybe an email to Archos could prompt higher
audio resolutions for firmware updates in the future?
- Archos will only record in stereo -- a mono mode would be very
handy and was requested by me thru the customer service feedback on
their site...not holding my breath but it would be a nice feature...
- the Archos battery lasts around 3 hours and was adequate for
morning and evening location recording outings with a recharge during
lunch...
- the SP-PREAMP-4 is very clean and makes some nice recordings...but:
    - you need to set the gain (0, 29, and 50dB gain settings) and
levels (dual sliders -- which are post-preamp attenuators) so that
your levels are good for the duration of any recording session...i.e,
no clipping on very dynamic material...
    - there is no limiting on either the preamp or the Archos -- but
then I never use limiting on field recordings
    - no low-freq roll-off on the SP-PREAMP-4 model which would come
in handly for windy and rumble-prone locations -- I have exchanged my
preamp for a custom version that does include DIP switches for
various low-freq roll-offs
    - no clip LED -- but my request for one will possibly become
future feature via a small daughter-board add-on which can - only -
be added to preamp customizations (in the Sound Professional product
pull down menus)
- the Otter 2000 series case is small enough to hide in a coat pocket
and allowed me to record street sounds without anyone noticing
- the JVC stereo mic I was using was crap but even so I was able to
get OK recordings -- although the spatial stereo quality was poor due
to the mic being a single-point mic...my new Auris stereo mic should
take care of that problem...
- best to buy a small camera sling bag that can fit under a coat or
jacket (see below) -- I haven't gotten the KATA bag yet so I can't
say how well the Otter case fits...but this way the PREAMP and Archos
won't get lifted by those deft pickpockets in Brussels like my wallet
had been a couple of years ago...
- make sure to get a right angle adapter if you have a mic with a
straight mini-plug -- this way the preamp will slip into a pocket
easier and without straining the mics mini-plug going into the preamp...
- I have taken to wearing the Auris mic attached to my collar -- I
drop the main line down my back and bring the two leads with the
elements to my collar and then clip them there -- the Auris and clips
becomes almost invisible against my black shirt and provides enough
of an acoustic body-shadow to give a slight 'binaural' effect...
- the Archos mounts as a hard drive in OS X and then files can be
dragged off onto a hard drive or opened using your favorite sound editor
- that's all I can think of for now -- my week in Mexico City
produced some really nice recordings -- too bad my Auris mic hadn't
arrived until I got back from Mexico...but all in all I like this set
up very much, its small, clandestine, and high quality suitable for
CD and film projects...
- more later once I've played with the Auris mic and gotten my new
preamp with the low-freq roll-off switches

=============================

INFO:
======
Archos GIGATRACKER:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GIGATRACKER
all in one package -- but a little expensive at
$489.00 USD

SP-PREAMP-4 (preamp without Archos402):
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-PREAMP-4
$199.00 USD
SP-SPSB-5:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-5
more expensive but then I really need a low-freq roll-off for certain
recording situations and was willing to spend the extra money for it
this model might also include a clipping LED feature in the future
Archos 402 ON SALE -- [Rebate expires 03/31/2006]
http://www.compuplus.com/i-Archos-GMini-402-CAMCORDER-Pocket-
Multimedia-Center-500705-1005885~t-archos%20402-sid-43oe3f7p0396lq0-
track-searchViewed.html

http://tinyurl.com/hsyxa
$239.00 USD w/rebate
Auris stereo mics:
http://www.reactivesounds.com/am2.php
(this is the stereo mic I now have but haven't used it on a serious
project yet...)
$119.00 USD
Hosa 3.5mm Stereo Right Angle Adapter:
http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv
KATA S 312 Camera Sling Bag:
http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2006/GearNGadgets/March2006/Kata/
RDMGG_Kata312.htm
I bought this for $29.95 through
http://www.videodirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Product_Code=S312
although I look at it now and the price jumped up to $39.95 since
yesterday!
***just got word that ALL the KATA stuff had a price increase on the
video direct site effective March 30th