Re: [microsound] striated and smooth (was: music is the ultimate incorruptible)

i dont know if you mean this, rinus, but i keep getting the sense that you
question the basic competences of folk who engage in improvisational
practices.  i have no idea where you get that from, but you have said as
much in consecutive mails, so i assume it is the case.

if you find the term improvisation to be constricting, then there is nothing
to be said.
if you find that the term doesnt resonante with you because of the medium
you working with,  then the matter is more interesting because it gets to
differences in approach that are a function of differences in types of
materials being manipulated in real time.

i dont know what you are talking about with the victorian room analogy---it
seems projection on your part:  there is nothing about improvisation as a
general approach that entails a more or less sealed-off relation to sound,
nothing in it that entails any particular old-school exclusions as to
source, quality, environment, openness....

unless there is something in what you say of that tedious opposition held to
by some folk i have run into doing electronic music that using acoustic
instruments is in itself reactionary--but that seems to me ridiculous, the
kind of thing kids starting out think, the ones who need to legitimate
themselves by opposing wholesale what they imagine themselves to be reacting
against.  like the surrealists in relation to catholicism---internally their
revolt was total--from the outside, it is exactly that assumption of total
revolt that blinded them to the possibilty that much of their
output----particularly that caught up directly in the "total revolt"----was
reducable---and worse reduced itself--- to the actions of self-conscously
naughty catholic boys.

but then again, i am no longer sure if we are even talking about  the same
topic here.
and i gotta go.

stephen