Re: [microsound] the ultimate incorruptible: cage/ cardew/christou/amm & beyond

my more point to point reply got lost. so i am just
winging to a more general paragraph. it good some
listers are pointing to cagean precision as opposed to
this misconception/cliche that "all i need to do is
open my window to hear a john cage concert". it also
points out the conservative aspect of cage. a more
blown open indeterminate framework was suggested by
cardew, especially in treatise. the problem of the
interpreters role in social hierarchy goes further
than a temporary loss of control in the ecstasy of
sound during a concert. the conspet of leadership
learned in secondary school bribgs from me the
nietzschean reply: those who cannot think for
themselves in our society become default followers.
this is also just a way of saying that leadership
concepts need to be shaken vigorously and often. i was
speaking with robin hayward (berlin resident, tuba
polayer) yesterday about his participation in
performances of jani christou's work. he said there
was lot of improvisation involved. but i think it is
also directed by the thematics of a christou piece. in
the case of cardew i see a different model, wherein
the composer refuses to direct the interpreters,
except in those cases when he himself was one of the
interpreters. leadership in this sense is
disintegrated, dissolved in the medium of collective
interpretation. there is never a loss of the problem.
the problem is for the process of immanence and
interpretation. the ideas of what comes in the
foreground or background of imrpovised music have been
played out by AMM in their long career. the issue
though of how the social hierarchies of the new music
world (so resembling those of the classical world as
to be quite distrubing, even for some of the musicians
i speak to) how these are grafted onto the the world
of later indeterminate music and improvisation is also
fairlyy complex and different each time. but also
never a non-problem, as these things reflect other
aspects of our society that need to continue to
undergo change.
best, jeff gburek

j.ff gbk

http://www.futurevessel.com/orphansound/