Re: [microsound] christou

i have been listening to Mysterion and Anaparastasis
II (The Pianist). he chose to make the horror over the
inability to communicate a major theme. this leads to
an innovation to extend the instrumentalists
activities beyond merely playing instruments. but it
is very strong and compelling music because there is
the great desire to communicate. these contradictions
make for an incredible tension. in the more glib
interpretation of cage (in the post-modernist vein i
mean) this is kind of tension is nearly impossible. i
wonder why? the interplay between the chorus voices
and the taped voices is done in a way that creates a
complete field of sound rather than permit the tape to
act as a display of the magnificent range of technical
distortions possible in the medium. the intuition of a
theatrical unity to it all is certainly at the basis.
at moments listening i recall my first experiences
listening to pierre henry. but somehow it has been
more of a revelation to hear this music now. in
athens, no less. i really would love to hear the other
works. but the people at sirius a have been very
clever: they makes each cd contain works from the
earlier and later periods rather than chronologically
(so you cant just skip the the last two to get all the
late works!)

--- Thanos Chrysakis <azimuths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> on 3/14/06 11:54 AM, jeff gburek at
> tsazmaniac@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > have you opinions or
> > ideas to share about christou's work. i think the
> > electronic and tape work would be of interest to
> > microsound communitarians. best, jeff gburek
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> an unexpected turn on... Christou!
>
> Christou stands apart from the official music
> history of the 20th century
> not because the music doesn't stand out but because
> his musical attitude
> was very anti-positivist ironically enough for a man
> that studied with
> Bernard Russell in London (one of the archbishops of
> analytic philosophy)
> and also with Wittgenstein!
>
> He viewed music not through  empirical lenses ....
> his music relates with pananthropic aspects of human
> existence
> thus in a direct way with the ancient Greek theatre
> which always
> seeks to reveal the universal that all humans share
> within particular
> persons.
>
> About  his tape works.... I've listened to EPICYCLE
> II
> that still resonates but I haven't listened to
> Oedipus Rex!.
>
> The ultimate collection of his works is by
> the greek label sirius recordings::
> www.sirius.gr
>
> Powerful stuff not for the faint at heart!:-)
>

> Bets Wishes,
> Thanos

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> microsound-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx