Re: [microsound] an age of immaterial reproduction

I don't see pushing oneself into a genre as bad, per se. This has always
occurred. I do both free improv/noise (sometimes post-jazz atonal
classical in there too), and proper "techno/idm/electro/minimal etc.".
Quite frankly, I like making people dance. I don't really make money at
either one, but it's fun, and it can be sophisticated when appreciated
from within its own paradigm.

I think it's good to sometimes make music that has a function, or has to
follow certain rules. (Sorry Adorno... I dropped out of college and
changed my mind!) The rules might be those of a genre, or arbitrary
self-imposed ones. Either way, sometimes having a framework to push
against can actually inspire one to dig deeper. But, the great classical
composers all wrote genre pieces, after all. Some are "throw-away", but
some were quite masterful.

I don't think every piece has to be a masterpiece personally; maybe I'm
too eclectic and postmodern here, but I think in a good career, there's
room for a lot of kinds of work, both monumental "high art" experimental
masterworks, and occasional pieces that fulfill a certain function. I
think the key is some kind of balance, and just holding onto your unique
artistic vision, no matter what genre or medium you confront.

Also, making money may not be a "good reason" for creating music - but is
this an AESTHETIC question, or an ETHICAL one? A person might be making
music for money, making music for personal expression, making music for
people to dance and party to, or making music to express some political
value. What criteria does one use, to decide which is better?

~David