Re: [microsound] Physical Media - aura in an age of immaterial reproduction

On 3/9/06 10:40 PM, "dkl37@xxxxxxxx" <dkl37@xxxxxxxx> scribed:

> So, if I were to release a nicely packaged blank CD, you would buy it?
> ;-)
> I seriously doubt it.

You shouldn't doubt things so easily from those you don't know! I've done
this a lot in the past (purchased an album based solely on the artwork). But
I'm a risk taker and a lover of chaos, most people are not.

> I agree that the issues expressed about "capital" would better be addressed
> in regard to those with insincere motivations, and I say, if you are fed up
> with the practices of the corporate music industry, then just ignore them
> and don't buy their music.

For the large part, I am more interested in the independent artists anyway.
It's been a very long while since I've purchased a 'music industry'
recording that wasn't a promo or in a used bin.

And to make all of you jealous I just found the Farben Textstar at Tower in
Santa Monica for $10! Now I just need to find the other 3 vinyls I don't
have from the series. :|

> As for the "need" to make money from music -  in the realm of
> music that this list group is generally about, the "need" mostly comes in
> the form of covering costs and generating funds for future activities

Most definitely agree here, but arguably these activities aren't completely
related to the actual creation of the music and artistic/creative
motivation. But yeah, it's all about what that motivation actually is: to
'make money' for the sake of the money (boo hiss), or to make money for the
sake of the presentation and availability (much more preferable).

There is an ad in the LA area on busses and billboards for a radio station
that has a supposed 'DJ' riding in a convertible and holding up a big
fistful of cash. The tagline is something like "Hip Hop on <call number>,
Convertibles and Money" or something to that effect. I wish I could remember
the exact wording, but it is everything that is wrong with the music
industry nicely summarized.

//\