RE: [microsound] american female exp. composers

now, it seems very peculiar to me that there are so many japanese female
experimental composers and so few americans, any thought about this?
what is the social/cultural reason? <

I don't know whether the above is true- I know of many women working in experimental music in North America- but in any case, the next issue of the CEC's journal eContact is devoted to 'Women in Electroacoustics', and includes, among many articles, a review of Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner's new book, 'Women Composers and Music Technology in the United States: Crossing the Line', which, according to the review, is "the most definitive attempt to date to discuss the achievements of women as composers of experimental and avant-garde music from the 1930s to the present day." Perhaps this would be a good place to look for more information on the subject.

The journal is not yet online, but will be very soon- almost certainly within the next week or two. Follow the links from: econtact.ca

all the best,
Ian Stewart
President of the CEC Board