Re: [microsound] physical media and the future

Well, I can agree that there has long been a "corporate commodity"
problem
in the music industry, but a one-liner like "no music for capital" is a
recklessly oversimplified statement taken on its own.

And I completely disagree that downloadable music is pointing the way to
the
end of corporate commodity issues. If anything, I see downloadable music
becoming a more cold and sterile way to do the same thing corporate
labels
have been doing for decades, and it will save them tons of money,
therefore
still making them tons of money, with less operating costs, less
packaging
costs, etc. That is, once they stop making enemies out of their
listeners...

And while I'm barking in vain at the podium, the business model for bands
like
Phish and Grateful Dead work because they are selling lifestyle and
social experience events that the music is only a part of, so I don't see
how this can
be a *new paradigm* for all other music to follow since this approach is
not
applicable to all kinds of music.

Besides, many people are already lonely unsocial recluses, so they don't
need to listen to avant garde/electronic music to get into that kind of
lifestyle. ;-)

Bests, Dale