Re: [microsound] Help for the beginner and Hello's

On Mar 4, 2006, at 9:40 AM, thewade wrote:

If anyone knows of a good book or magazine for mixing theory please let me know. I know how do do things and what gear to use to do it, but I am curious about techniques for, say, highlighting a vocal or instrument and giving it "room" amongst all the other instruments so that things do not sound muddy.

You might be ready for 'summing' ; this is where different sources are routed together in a coherent , aesthetically pleasing manner. For highlighting a vocal you might try routing the tracks of your composition through a multi-channel interface to an analogue mixing desk , then routing the resulting mix to your master recorder or back to a computer.If you don't have the available audio channels you might try using a send and return on the track in question in order to utilize a tube preamp or print the audio to tape. Perhaps you should actually give it "room' by setting up a microphone or two in a quiet room and recording the solo track.

Another technique I've wanted to try for certain songs (and don't quite have the working equipment to attempt this with any certainty of success) is running the daw from a 4 track tape recording using external clock and recording instruments on the remaining 3 tracks, then summing those tracks with the digital recordings.That might make the daw sound smoother (less jitter) and result in a nice multi-dimensional thick yet detailed sound.

hope this was some help

-b