Re: [microsound] Fwd: Creative Commons (Was RE: Podcast feedback?)

Might this provision conflict with existing law? And if there is not a
technical contradiction, surely there is a de facto contradiction: i.e.
normally a club or bar pays to the big royalty-collecting companies (in
the USA, ASCAP/BMI) and then nobody normally worries about whether
individual songs are licensed for public performance. No judgement on
whether this system is good or fair, I'm not an ASCAP fan as they screw
over indie artists, but that's how it is, at least in the USA. Which means
that in reality, no netlabel could possibly enforce whether some DJ played
song X in a set at a club in Detroit.

Maybe Europe is different, but we don't have to turn in any kinds of
setlists in the US, so there's no way to know what gets played. The only
worry is venues paying ASCAP and BMI, who have secret police that snoop
around and blackmail venues that haven't gotten their compulsory license.

Honestly, the legality of things is about the last thing I worry about
when I DJ or even do my own sets, it's guaranteed that some of my samples
are "illegal", I say who cares, it's just capitalist bull$#!+ anyway...
;-]

~David