Re: [microsound] Fwd: Creative Commons (Was RE: Podcast feedback?)

Hallo,
Kamen Nedev hat gesagt: // Kamen Nedev wrote:

> Now, there's little point in re-running the Nettime discussion here.
> What I'm trying to say is that despite their excellent presentation,
> their amazing communication efforts, and their brilliant intentions,
> CC haven't managed to breach the "legalese" divide: most people are
> still not quite aware of the full implications of the smallprint in
> each single kind of licence, and I shudder to think what might happen
> to a lot of the content I see out there.

Word up, that's exactly the problem. CC became a slick marketing
machine for a logo, but CC didn't make the differences between the
various licenses clear enough. Another example is DJing: A
CC-NC-license with the non-commercial catch prohibits playing that
music in a bar or club, because that is commercial use.

I'm not sure if many netlabels are aware of the fact, that I'm not
allowed to play their music in a bar, as soon as the owner gives me
free beer for djing. Some netlabels now include a "special permission"
which allows DJing their music, but that is in fact just another
CC-license: CC-SA-BY-NC-but-djing-allowed-omygod, which shows that
something is wrong with CC in the first place.

Ciao