[microsound] Re: [ot] censoring a sound mix

http://tinyurl.com/mvddr

I've not run into films being given a rating due to the soundtracks
being 'too tense' for children before...weird...

I wonder if "Disney's The Lion King" composer Hans Zimmer should be proud or not? His work is so successful that it was partially singled out for raising the rating ... but also surely cost some box office receipts.

I was just reading how Bejing uses a public tactic of announcing a film has "has technical problems" with light and sound for films that seemingly really contain critical political and social content thereby denying them any release.

Then again Bejing's official ban on programming with talking animals last fall raised a smattering of foreign jeers.

Many works have been given a mature rating by various bodies as they "may be too intense" when viewed as a whole but as far as I know never has a ratings body pointed the finger at solely non-verbal sounds.

If I were Sony and I thought this was significant I'd ask for a re- screening with a referenced projection system and sound level meters. It occurs to me that perhaps if there wasn't an ulterior motive to the decision then perhaps someone cranked the volume up unintentionally... or maybe Sony used dynamic reduction techniques to pump everything up too much?

On the other hand the suspicious side of me wonders if maybe the censors just want an excuse that to the public sounds non- controversial rather than address anything religious.

Riffing on that theme I start to wonder if once this is accepted that perhaps maybe a future film with some middle eastern music + sounds that happens to have a "controversial" plot might conveniently have too much "tension" in the music.

On the other hand what's being done in the UK is comparatively mild at the present. There isn't a doubt over the film not being screened (like China). The ruling is about the age of young people permitted to see it. Taken as an isolated incident (rather than a springboard to do more variations on the same strategy). One would worry if it's applied to non-fiction films, you know, saying something like a new film with a topic younger people have a stake in has something wrong with it that keeps them out of the theatre.