[microsound] Re: How long should a "digital" album be

This is a very interesting question -- one I hadn't previously spent more than isolated moments "thinking" about.

I think the 60 minute album length is, for the most part, a marketing ploy. "Over an hour of music" screams the sticker! And as others have already pointed out, all too often the hour has many, many minutes of filler. On the other hand, I have more than a few 70+ minute CDs that end all too soon for my ears.

I'll weigh in on the side of those who feel an album (or EP or single) is done when it feels like everything it needs is already there -- no matter what the time length. Also, I love the concept of multiple hour CD/DVD lengths, and the "release early, release often" concept has merit too.

=j=