Re: [microsound] Post-digital photography

I'm interested in the idea that the post-digital aesthetic that is often discussed with relation to music also exists in digital photography. I.e. there are approaches to digital photography that question its techniques, claims, technology, etc.

IMHO, as an artist who has worked with traditional photography extensively along with film, sonic and video things, I find that discussing technological differences to be beside the point -- photography, after years of trying to distinguish itself as "real art" versus painting and sculpture and printmaking, ended up in a sterile corner of self-circumscribed uniqueness and got brushed out of the way as a medium when digital came along.

In the end photography is simply another way of putting a mark on a 2-dimensional surface or screen. It joins drawing, printmaking, painting, video, film, and all the other ways of putting a mark on a surface/screen.

nothing particularly unique about digital in that regard.

Of course one can get into long discussions about the syntax (or the 'look') of each different medium, and there are definitely certain political-economic peculiarities with digital media, but the final use ends up being the same.

perhaps I could make the heretical comparison in music as well. music is a way of generating a (most times) shared sonic energy environment no matter how it is produced...

cheers
John