Re: [microsound] censorship art (worshipping the beep)

tobias,

  there were a number of 12" singles on the belgian new beat label 'subway' in the mid-late 80's that incorporated the beep as a compositional device both for its temporal interruptive quality and as a comment on what the new beat composers perceived as a prudish attitude, by belgian radio dj's specifically and belgian people in general, at the time. notable examples are tracks:

  new beat generation - suck the beat (subway 29)

  and

  taste of sugar - hmmm (subway 38)

  those two songs sample two related karen finley samples that they 'beep' and then stutter the beep throughout the respective tracks. i believe the singles predate her problems with jesse helms in the US but im not sure.

  the sampled phrases are "you wanna suck my (beep)" and "come let me suck your (beep)" respectively.

  ( both groups are actually members of poesie noire under their production nom de plume 'morton sherman and bellucci' )

  i cant remember any other specific examples but MSB projects 'erotic dissidents' and 'boys and girls at the university' are likely suspects.

  xe

Tobias Reber <tobiasreber@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  There's this tune called "Beep" by the Pussycat Dolls (featuring will.i.am).
that incorporates the censoring beep sound into its rhythmic scheme. I know
many musicians incorporated the "parental advisory" sign into their cover
art (sometimes in a transformed fashion), but I've never heard somebody
"composing" with the beep.

Any thoughts on that? Or earlier examples where the beep or other elements
were used in this way?

Tobias

"the master commands a trade..."

                    - aleera -