Re: [microsound] the system that works for the great deal of people

it is interesting to think of snippiness in symptomatic terms, yes?

what is it about the present ideological state of affairs that enables frame
disputes (between frames of reference, say at the level of the assumptions
that enable you to model capitalism one way or another, a step prior to any
actual modelling) to degenerate so quickly and often into snippiness?

i wonder if this has something to do with identity branding in shaping
political statements and relations to political statements.  political
statements are consumer items and one routes elements of one's sense of
social distinction through the set of statements that fits best, whose
colors are most flattering, etc., and these political statements become
integrated into a level of habitus (ugly word, isnt it?  got a better one?
bourdieuspeak.  ugh.) which is reflected on choices of models and the
statements about the world organized by the,.  and which reflects yourself
back to yourself.

it is interesting that statements that would entail shifting your relation
to capitalism as a category as a model seem not to generate discussion but
are greeted more as a kind of irritating faux pas like talking with your
mouth full of food on a first date but more irritating kind of.  it is as if
they have been framed out of any relation to argument.
the results read like:
Q. "can you defend the premises of your relationship to capitalism?"
A. "fuck you."
snippiness instead.
what exactly is being defended through it?

there seems to be something screwy has happened to political debate.

returning to the bench on the sidelines
stephen