Re: [microsound] the system that works for the great deal of people

Well we tend to adopt our political beliefs as part of our identity and also
adopt politics that suit our identity. They feed off each other and grow
together.

One thing I have been thinking a great deal about lately is how we commence
dialogue with people who have differing points of view. How do we seek to
seem less like we are on a warpath or trying to 'educate' them? My first
child is due in less than a month and I wonder how I will expose him or her
to ideas about culture & the world.

I think it is a great failing in our school system (certainly my experience
of the system in Australia and England) that there isn't more discussion
about political and cultural theory. I certainly wouldn't ask them to go out
and read Deleuze straight away. However, I think it is important that we
have a populous who understand different points of view and interpretive
frameworks.

It is clear to me, at this juncture, that one framework will not do - we
need to blend a number of them and throw in a good dose of 'life doesn't
always work according to a plan'. I mean, let's face it... That's the
problem with so many political theories - they forget the unpredictable
human element.

Simon.