[microsound] dot dash

dear friends,

the situationist aspect here is important in regards
to manipulation.   but what i hear most in this
debate are  voices  of  discrimination.   when we
speak of the intersections in community, be it virtual
or real, we are hearing the same debate of the civil
rights movement.  the rhetoric is identical.   there
is discrimination,(interestingly),  and here, it is
not on a racial / class basis, but a progressive basis
? perhaps.  i know i am personally discriminating
against the myspacers.  its not a violent or offensice
stance i hope.   but we are exercising discrimination,
and that may be a symptom rather that a protest.
and what many of us have asked is what are the
solutions.   so lets have some rhetoric on solutions
maybe - solutions to marketing one's music, solutions
to promotion - commercially and self promotion. etc.
how one goes about getting their art appreciated in a
sound way.

to those on this list who have achieved this, let's
hear from them.  to those struggling to get their
music out, playing shows, distributing their own
music, lets hear from them.  the point being , posting
tunes on myspace is relative.   what else are you
doing ?
here is something, because someone asked, what are the
alternatives to getting your music out there, if you
are facing low resources, and the rest of the people
disregard you, if you are on myspace.

here's what i would do/ can do /am doing .

i dont tour, so i try to get my stuff reviewed on
websites, zines, college radio stations, etc.  send a
note to a programmer at anyone of these and let the
criticism take its course, positive, or negative.
work off that.

networking sounds like a dirty word to me, but it's
probably what you're doing.   the guy who runs my
local record store, is very supportive of what i'm
doing.  he's very encouraging, so that's something.  i
guess it's like finding patrons, which some have said
is hard to do, but this guy dan is very cool and he's
offering me some very relevant resources.

also, i bet most of us are into film and other media,
so working with other artists, filmmakers, designers,
etc, is a good way to go.   collaborating outside of
your usual scene/ audience is a good thing to do.

so anyway, all of this can be done besides, or without
myspace.  i would certainly like to know what others
are doing.  but i think this is what's right for me.
keeping control and care in my hands and, not getting
into manipulative channels.

this is sort of long, sorry, but i think this
discussion now has to offer real solutions to the
debate.

and shit, syd barret died.

R.I.P.

head-butting,