Re: [microsound] Adorno turns in his grave

I would like to refute this point you made earlier in your thread:

"Those that suck will be mocked or ignored and sink.  Those that are
good will rise and become virulent.  Let natural market forces decide."

How much culture that many percieve as being in the "suck" category is
taken as a whole to be "pop culture"... percieved as having been good
enough to rise to the "top" of something or other? Like winning
American Idol? Which is of course, supposed to be predicated on some
kind of cultural "free-market"... "the community" or "the public"
chooses... and something "rises to the top".

those that are choosing are always already corrupted by "natural market
forces" having been force-fed the market, naturally.

I don't understand who the subject is in your statement either... who
is it that is determining what sucks or is good? as if there is some
baseline for these qualities that can be standardized. I think the
activity that occurs on MySpace with regards to the relative popularity
of an artists work has more in common with "mobs" than with markets
(especially in the sense of a free one). It becomes cultural mob-rule
rather than cultural democracy. artistic merit determined by the whimsy
of a fickle crowd.

would a composer such as Xenakis, or Stockhausen rise to the top on
MySpace? And if not (for whatever reasons) does that mean they suck?

On Jul 12, 2006, at 3:14 PM, Jason Hollis wrote:

> Oh my goodness, do however think to either refute/discuss one of my
> actual points

CommTom
Communications of Tomorrow
"it's only a day away"

unique electronic music for the adventurous ear.

http://www.commtom.com