Re: [microsound] confusion

"and to the person who thinks myspace is a free market-driven
meritocracy: you're kidding, right?"

Um, no.
You're both massively oversimplifying what I said and missing the point completely.

I refer to the concept commonly referred to as the 'marketplace of ideas', wherein what can be described as market forces act on all abstractions.

MySpace itself has meritocratic tendencies insomuch as users choose what they like and massively cross link it, share with friends, etc, so the cream can rise-
but with admin level overrides for commercial purposes. Cut a deal with so and so, pimp their pap, make a buck.

And it HAS to be that way to some degree, at least semi-free, or people would leave and some clever person would build something better.. and investors wouldnt make their money so the company would fold. Balance must exist. The exception being open source volunteer co-op models, but even then, money must flow.

If none of this is gelling for you, nothing more I say will help and I suggest you read up on the subject.
=/

~ !J!
http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com