Re: [microsound] I want my MTV

Come now?

What you did was technically interactive, with the audience as the sound/video source.
But it was abstract. Noodly. Amorphous.

Likely any of us on this list would have enjoyed it, but we're a bunch of geeks, as much interested in the technical as the aesthetic.

But did you really engage them enough to stop their social output and lose themselves in the experience?
Unless they were simply oscillating for the sake of feeding the installation? =]

This illustrates my point exactly.

Humans have deep grooves built into our genes.
Singing.  Banging on a log with a bone. Dancing around the fire.
It was our first language. That's just how humans are.

We respond in a visceral way to realtime synchretic linear percussive melodic content.
And more the point, we still deep down usually expect something like that at a performance.

Sure we're capable of experiencing anything, and should!, but those that speak some variant of that first language will always have an edge in a live performance situation, and those that can convey synchresis even moreso.

Just the simple stimulus of seeing the performer identifiably lost in their own work can be enough;
I've been to shows that were two guys on laptops that rocked my world for this same reason.
And been to shows that were the same configuration that bored me to tears *cough*AE*cough*.

Hell, two guys with a mic, a light board, and an iPod made for a whole bunch of awesome once - because they were so genuinely into it that no one cared.
Not even the geeks. But if they had failed to pull it off like that, had they come across as choreographed or forced,or worse still, nervous and self conscious, or worst of all BORED, the mocking would have been legendary.
It's that fine line.

~ !J!
http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com