eretsua wrote:
From: "David @ Audiobulb" <dwnewman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Why do some of us enjoy/appreciate or find interest in repeated exposure to <
microsound compositions whilst others are repelled by it?<

i think that personal preferences are atleast partially dictated by physical properties of the individual in question. i don't know if it's true but i believe everyone has a different frequency range that they are able to hear better than another person. so PersonA's hearing is more sensitve, better able to hear high sounds and PersonB's hearing is more sensitive to low sounds. i think these differences make up (atleast partially) our tastes because we are not hearing the same thing and there for may may miss out on the point of the music. i think that one needs to be able to recognize a pattern (of some sort) in order to enjoy / appreciate anything. so if the point of the music/sound is in an area of the frequency spectrum where the listener's ears & brain can't make anything of it's going to be lost on them.

there are many different reasons. one microsounder might listen to the recording and enjoy the technical quallity of the recording. another microsounder may be facinated by the sonic magnification of the word around him/her. like when you take a camera into the garden and zoom in on all the little things and film a whole different world then when you just look at the garden from your window, only in microsound it's done with sound rather than film.

eretsua