Re: [microsound] Meta Synth pro 4

For PC's, I just discovered the program Coagula last night - it's free and
quite nice:
http://hem.passagen.se/rasmuse/Coagula.htm
Perhaps not as full-featured as Metasynth, but definitely makes some nice
sounds.

If you are on a Mac don't want to spend $500, you might be interested in
some of the software listed on this page:
http://aliasfrequencies.org/son/text/granular.html

These two look promising for image processing (I'm not on a Mac so others
will have to chime in if they've used them):

*Phonogramme*
Shareware for Mac and PC
http://www.ai.univ-paris8.fr/~vi/phonogramme/phonogramme.html<http://www.ai.univ-paris8.fr/%7Evi/phonogramme/phonogramme.html>

The PC version is called Phonogramme Svelte. Basically it takes a bitmapped
image and turns it into a soundfile. Applying this to a 'normal' picture
usually results in harsh noise, but painting pictures with sparse patterns
can create interesting new sounds.

The Mac version has many more options, including MIDI, for controlling the
output of the program. Be warned that the website, program and documentation
are all in French.

*Soundhack*
Shareware for Mac
http://shoko.calarts.edu/~tre/SndHckDoc/<http://shoko.calarts.edu/%7Etre/SndHckDoc/>

It's getting a bit long in the tooth now, but throughout the 90's Soundhack
has been regarded as one of the coolest pieces of audio software around. It
was created by CalArts computer music guru Tom Erbe. Although it's
shareware, all you have to do to register is send Tom some of your music.

Much of Soundhack's processing power is based on a fast fourier transform
technique, called phase vocoding, which can result in unusual types of time
stretching and pitch shifting. The program can perform many other esoteric
transformations, such as spectral mutation and soundfile convolution, as
well as binaural filtering, for 3D sound from stereo speakers.

It also reads and writes just about any file format, making it a very handy
utility.
~David